Tessy María López Goerne (born October 22, 1961) is a Mexican solid-state chemist, professor, researcher, academic, and popular science communicator. She has specialized in the fields of nanotechnology and nanomedicine, as well as being a pioneer in catalytic nanomedicine. She directs the Nanotechnology and Nanomedicine Laboratories at the Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana Xochimilco (UAM-X) plant and the National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery.
López Goerne finished her bachelor's degree in physical chemistry, master's in solid-state, and doctorate in materials science at Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana Iztapalapa (UAM-I). Since 1982 she has been a research professor at her alma mater.
Research and academics
López Goerne has worked as a researcher in the fields of molecular photodynamics, photocatalysts and bionanomaterials, materials and nanostructured reservoirs for controlled release of drugs. She is a pioneer in catalytic nanomedicine. She was a research professor at Tulane University.
She works as a research professor at the Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana and as a research professor at the National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery, in agreement with the UAM. She has been a level III researcher at the National System of Researchers since 1998.
Awards and distinctions
- Weizmann Award for the doctoral thesis "Proceso Sol-gel" (Weizmann Institute of Science and Mexican Academy of Sciences, 1991)
- Presea Marcos Moshinsky National Youth Science and Technology Award, awarded in Mexico by the Secretariat of Public Education (1991)
- National Award of the Mexican Academy of Sciences (1993)
- Manuel Noriega Morales Award in the area of Exact Sciences (Organization of American States, 1993)
- Javed Hussain UNESCO Award in Sciences (1995)
- Zazil-Avon Science and Culture Award (Avon Cosmetics, 1997)
- National System of Researchers Level III (Conacyt, 1998 to present)
- Founding president of the Sol-Gel Science and Technology Society (Mexico, 2002 to present)
- Consolidated Academic Body (September 2005 to present)
- Cámara Nacional de la Industria Farmacéutica Award (2006)
- Recognized at the UK Council for Parity Democracy conference "270 Women Active in Nobel Prize Fields" as one of four women who could receive the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
- Scopus Award (2009)
- Active Elsevier editorial board member
Tessy María López Goerne has written more than 200 research articles in journals indexed under the ISI standard, as well as outreach works in diverse media. She has written two research books. Her publications include:
- "FTIR and UV-Vis (Diffuse Reflectance) spectroscopic characterization of TiO2 Sol-Gel". T. Lopez*, E. Sánchez, P. Bosch, Y. Meas, and R. Gomez. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 32 (1992), 141-152.
- "Surface acidity of sulfated TiO2-SiO2". J. Navarrete, T. Lopez*, R. Gomez and F. Figueras. Langmuir, 1996, 12, 4385-4390.
- "A nanostructured titania bioceramic implantable device capable of drug delivery to the temporal lobe of the brain". T. Lopez,* E. Ortiz, P. Quintana, R. D. Gonzalez. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 300 (2007), 3–10.
- "Treatment of Parkinson's disease: nanostructured sol-gel – dopamine reservoirs for controlled drug release in central nervous system". International Journal of Nanomedicine, 5 (2010), 1-13.
- "Catalytic nanomedicine: A new field in antitumor treatment using supported platinum nanoparticles. In vitro DNA degradation and in vivo tests with C6 animal model on Wistar rats". European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 45 (2010), 1982-1990.
- Nanotecnología y nanomedicina: la ciencia del futuro...hoy. Arkhé Ediciones.
- Nanomedicina catalítica: ciencia y cáncer. Arkhé Ediciones.
- El mundo mágico del vidrio. Colección La Ciencia desde México. Fondo de Cultura Mexicana.
- Psst, psst, tú, ¿sabes qué son los cristales? Cuentos infantiles. (Sociedad Mexicana de Cristalografía, 2000)
- El amor en los tiempos de la contaminación Colección La Ciencia desde México (Fondo de Cultura Económica, 2004).
- El despertar de la epilepsia (Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana, 2006)
Educational material for children
- El estado sólido (audiovisual, 1984)
- La química, brujería... ¿o qué? (audiovisual, 1995)
- Cristalografía para niños (audiovisual, 1998)
- Taller de cristalografía para niños (1999)
- Psst—-psst—-tu. Sabes que son los cristales (2000)
- Los tres estados de la materia (theater and audiovisual work, 2003)
- Taller interactivo para niños: El enigma del ingenioso artefacto llamado cerebro (2006)
- Procedure for the preparation of platinum – tin catalysts supported in alumina, for the transformation of hydrocarbons. In process in Secofi. Registration number 32438, file 934307430/1993. July 16, 1993.
- Procedure for the preparation of ruthenium silica and ruthenium alumina catalysts. Tessy López, Ricardo Gómez, Octavio Novaro. In process in Secofi. Registry No. 34758, file 9347139/1993. August 4, 1993.
- Procedure for the preparation of lithium, samarium, and praseodymium catalysts supported in magnesia for the transformation of methane. Tessy López, Ricardo Gómez, Octavio Novaro. In process in Secofi. File 937962/1993. December 15, 1993.
- Procedure for the preparation of platinum and rhodium catalysts supported on titania for the oxidation of carbon monoxide and reduction of nitrogen oxides. Tessy López, Ricardo Gómez, Octavio Novaro. Secofi Patent Application. May 25, 1994.
- Procedure for the preparation of platinum-zirconia-silica catalysts for the transformation of hydrocarbons. Tessy López, Ricardo Gómez and Octavio Novaro. In process. Secofi patent application 948104. October 20, 1994.
- Procedure for obtaining a catalytic cracking catalyst. Tessy López, Ricardo Gómez. CYTED-D project. Certificate of invention granting country: Spain. Depositories: Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, Spain and Argentina.
- Sol-gel nanostructured titania reservoirs for use in the controlled release of drugs in the central nervous system. Tessy López - UAM. PCT No. WO / 2007/141590 A1 (Patent Office: Uhthoff and Gómez Vega , 2006).
- Sol-gel nanostructured and biocompatible platinum-titania and platinum-silica biocatalysts nanostructured and biocompatible for use in cancer treatment. Tessy López - UAM. PCT No. PCT / IB2009 / 006079. (Dispatch of patents: Uhthoff and Gómez Vega 2009).