Komal Rajya Laxmi Devi Shah (born 18 February 1951) is the Queen Consort of King Gyanendra of Nepal. She was the last Queen Consort of Nepal before the Monarchy was abolished on 28 May 2008.
Queen Komal was born in Bagmati, Kathmandu into the Rana family, the daughter of Kendra Shumsher Jang Bahadur Rana (1927–1982) and his wife Shree Rajya Laxmi Devi Shah (1928–2005). Queen Komal's older sister Aishwarya was married to King Birendra of Nepal, the brother of Gyanendra. Aishwarya was killed in the palace massacre on 1 June 2001. Komal sustained bullet injuries as a result of the palace shooting and spent four weeks recovering in hospital.
She was educated at St Mary's School, Jawalakhel, St Helen's Convent, Kurseong, India and Kalanidhi Sangeet Mahavidhyalaya, Kathmandu.
As a result of the massacre, Komal's husband Gyanendra succeeded to the throne following the deaths of King Birendra, Crown Prince Dipendra (who had briefly succeeded him), and Prince Nirajan. Komal thus became Queen of Nepal.
Komal's younger sister Prekshya also married into the Shah dynasty marrying Gyanendra and Birendra's brother Prince Dhirendra who was killed in the palace massacre. They divorced in 1991. Princess Prekshya was killed in a helicopter crash on 12 November 2001.
Queen Komal married her second cousin Prince Gyanendra of Nepal on 1 May 1970 in Kathmandu, and they have two children.
- Crown Prince Paras (born on 30 December 1971 in Kathmandu).
- Princess Prerana (born on 20 February 1978 in Kathmandu).
Abolition of the monarchy
The Nepalese Parliament voted on 28 December as part of a peace deal with former Maoist rebels, 270-3 in favour of abolishing the monarchy.
On 28 May 2008, the monarchy was officially abolished, replaced by secular federal republic.
- Member of the Raj Sabha (1977).
- Patron Association of St Mary's Alumnae Nepal.
- Chairman of the Pashupati Area Development Trust (PADT).
- President of the SOS Children's Villages-Nepal (2001).
- Lady Komal Rajya Laxmi (1951–1970).
- HRH Princess Komal Rajya Laxmi Devi Shah of Nepal (1970–2001).
- HM The Queen of Nepal (Shree Panch Badamaharani) Komal Rajya Laxmi Devi Shah (2001–2008).
- Member of Order of Gorkha Dakshina Bahu (1975)
- Member of the Order of Om Rama Patta (1980)
- Member of the Order of Tri Shakti Patta (1998)
- Member of the Order of Nepal Pratap Bhaskara (17/10/2001)
- Member of the Order of Ojaswi Rajanya (07/04/2004)
- King Mahendra Investiture Medal (02/05/1956)
- Vishesh Seva [Distinguished Service Medal] (1971)
- King Birendra Investiture Medal (24/02/1975)
- Commemorative Silver Jubilee Medal of King Birendra (31/01/1997)
- Vishista Seva [Distinguished Service Medal] (1999)
- King Gyanendra Investiture Medal (04/06/2001)
- Thailand : Dame Grand Cordon of the Order of the White Elephant (1979)
- France : Dame Grand Cross of the National Order of Merit (02/05/1983)
- Spain : Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic (13/11/1987)