Philipp Uffenbach (15 January 1566 – 6 April 1636) was a German painter and etcher. He was born in Frankfurt, and trained under Hans Grimmer. One of his pupils was Adam Elsheimer.
1598 Philipp Uffenbach obtained the citizenship of Frankfurt, after he had married and had taken over the painter’s workshop of his father in law 1592. Only a view oft the artistic works of and his paintings and engravings are preserved, e.g. so z.B. oil painting "Adoration oft he Magi" (1587). His chief work is "Ascension of Jesus" of 1599, which he painted for the Dominican-Church in Frankfurt on Main. Conserved fragments can be found in the Historical Museum of the City of Frankfurt. It is known that he worked on behalf oft he council of the city, e.g. he represented the Brückenfreiheit at the tower of Old Bridge of Frankfurt on Main (1610), he colored the figure "Justitia" for the "Fountain of Justicia" on "Römerberg". 1887 this figure had been replaced by a sculpture in bronze. For Landgrave Philipp III. (Hessen-Butzbach) of Hessen-Butzbach he made the ceiling fresco for the "Landgrafschloss" (landgrave's castle).
Beside that Uffenbach was interested in mechanic, geometry alchemy, anatomy. He wrote 1898 the booklet Zeitweiser (time pointer) containing a printed diptych sundial. On the horizontal part of this sundial he presented the oldest gnomonic world map known so far. He also was interested in the problem of squaring the circle and published the book with the title De quadratura circuli mechanici.